Baked Eggplant Sandwiches
Eggplant is a great meat alternative – its dense flesh gives it quite a ‘meaty’ texture whilst being super low in calories!
Prep Time: 10 minutes Total time: 30 minutes Serving size: 2 servings
Tags: dinner, vegetarian, low carb
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup rocket
- 1 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Cut off the skin of each eggplant and then cut lengthwise down the middle to create 4 pieces of ‘bread’.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, pepper and water.
- Pour breadcrumbs into a flat dish. Dip eggplants slices into egg mixture and then coat both sides with breadcrumbs.
- Place 2 crumbed eggplant slices onto a lined baking dish. Top with rocket and spinach and sprinkle with parmesan. Add the remaining 2 crumbed eggplant slices over the top to form a sandwich.
- Bake the eggplant sandwiches for 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes
- Top with fresh tomato and basil leaves and enjoy.