Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 brown onions, diced
- 1 leek, thinly diced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly diced
- 4 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large handful of spinach
- 1 x 400g corn kernels (salt reduced)
- 3 x chicken stock cubes
- 1L water
- 2 cups curly pasta, cooked
- 2 x 150g chicken breast (without skin)
- In a large saucepan, add olive oil and heat on a low to medium flame. Once the sauce pan has heated up, add the onion, garlic and leek. Leave to saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, chicken stock cubes, water, spinach and corn to the pot and leave to simmer on a low heat for 20 to 25 minutes minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, fill a smaller saucepan three quarters full with water. Bring to a boil and then add the pasta.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and rinse it under cold water and then add it to the soup.
- Stir well and leave for another 10 to 15 minutes until all ingredients have been cooked through.
- While the soup is simmering for a second time, heat a fry pan and cook the chicken breast until cooked through. Once cooked, shred the chicken using a fork and then add it to the soup.
- Allow the soup to cook for another 10 minutes for it to be ready to serve.
- Serve with some crunchy wholemeal or wholegrain bread and butter.
Nutrition information per serving:
Energy: 1,193kJ or 291 calories Carbohydrates: 33g Protein: 16g Fat: 7.5g