- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili, diced
- 2 brown onions, dices
- 6 bacon short cut, fat trimmed, diced
- 3 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 white potatoes, diced
- 4 beef stock cubes, unsalted
- 3 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 1 x 400g can cannellini beans
- 1 x 400g red kidney beans
- 1 cup macaroni pasta
- 1 floret broccoli
- 4 cups water
- 1/3 cup fresh continental parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1 piece wholegrain bread, toasted
- 1 tsp margarine spread
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and leave for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Add the onion, garlic, chili, celery and bacon, and stir until lightly brown.
- Add the carrots, potato, diced tomatoes, beans, broccoli, water and stock cubes to the saucepan, and leave to cook for 45 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, fill a smaller saucepan three quarters full with water. Bring to a boil and then add the macaroni pasta.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and rinse it under cold water and then add it to the soup.
- Stir well and leave for another 10 to 15 minutes until all ingredients have been cooked through.
- Serve in a medium sized bowl with parsley on top and a side of wholemeal toast (buttered of course!)
Nutrition information per serving:
Energy: 1,175kJ or 287 calories Carbohydrates: 39.6g Protein: 17g Fat: 3g